29/10/2013

Negativity

Negativity

Once again, I feel I should make my apologies for it being such a long time since I last wrote anything, but I fear my moments of inspiration are few and far between. With a bit of luck, hopefully this post shouldn't be too long and rambling – despite me being somewhat rusty.

Firstly, I should start off by saying that a lot has changed in my life since the last time I posted, and as such, my perspective has also changed, for better or worse – but I will leave that for you to decide.  With many of my friends off exploring the wonders that university has to offer them, and many others out in the big bad world – facing exciting challenges that allow them to grow and learn from their mistakes, it seems only fair that I should do a bit of “self examination” so to speak. So I got to thinking – not for the first time about the fine balance between something being a positive experience, and something being a negative one.

In short: the conflict of interests between Optimism and Pessimism.

I have frequently been accused of being a pessimist (although, I like to think that I am more of a realist) but I do not consider this to be such a bad thing. As we all well know, optimism does not always come hand in hand with realism – and recently I have started thinking more and more about reality. It seems that nowadays increasing focus is being placed on academic performance (and as someone with profoundly average grades throughout school) and university applications looming, reality seems more at odds with optimism than ever. So it seems that the pressure mounts, and what should be a unique, and positive experience can become warped – almost becoming an unsurpassable nightmare.

Now, my inner optimist (who keeps getting me out of bed each morning) is screaming that, “it will all be okay – all you need to do is keep moving forward” but its voice is struggling to be heard above the rabble of everyday commitments that time just doesn't seem to want to cooperate with.  The pessimist in me is telling me that, “giving up isn't such a bad thing” whilst the realist tells me, “just do what you can with the time you have – it will be enough” but all these voices have got me thinking I’m going insane!

In today’s confusing times, it can be difficult to establish the right thing to do – and to walk that fine line between optimism and realism – however, we must all try. Despite the fact that this has been (yet another) rambling post, my point is: that we must all attempt to at least fight the desire to dwell on the negative aspects of a situation, and draw at least one lesson – or positive from a negative situation. Recently, I have witnessed several of my friends triumph over adversity and come out with lessons that they may teach others! Now, you might argue that this shouldn't come as a surprise to me (I did say I’m a pessimist remember) but it did. They taught me that the glass isn't always half full or half empty – but that it is what we make it.

Now, I think that is more than enough of my rambling for one post.
Hopefully it shouldn't be so long until my next post!

Love Amber
xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.