09/12/2012

Christmas Traditions


Christmas Traditions

Well it’s obviously that time of year, and I am finally beginning to get excited about Christmas! Although it seems like this year has passed much more quickly then perhaps I would like, this year has been a wonderful year, with its high points, and of course its low points. But this Christmas, although it’s going to be hectic is looking to be a good one.

 It seems to me that participating in Blogmas has certainly got me looking at Christmas in a new light. I seem to be finding inspiration everywhere (which is hopefully a good thing) – and hopefully I should be able to overcome the inevitable time pressures that the Festive Season brings with it in order to produce some interesting articles. So, to begin with, Christmas Traditions springs to mind.

In my household, Traditions (in most things) takes a prominent role. Never is there a time when this is more obvious than at Christmas, and the more I look, the more I notice how these traditions have formed over the years. As children, me and my brother used to complain about not putting the tree up until 12 days before, and then (all too soon) taking it down 12 days after... but now, looking back not only can I understand where mum was coming from when she said that it keeps it special – but I’m also incredibly grateful that she didn’t “cave” – and let us put the tree up as soon as December arrived.

Traditions such as this have helped to preserve some of the magic that Christmas brings – and decorating the tree as a family has become a critical part of our Christmas. Once the tree is up, it really begins to feel special – but recently, looking back I am beginning to realise that maybe it’s not the tree itself that is special, but the memories that are attached too it. The time that has been spent decorating it over the years, and the fantastic memories that I have come to associate with it. It really brings it home to me how important my family is to me when I see it.

Now, this may be me being overly sentimental – but the older I get the more I am able to look back on my childhood and Christmas’s past and see the little things... not the gifts, the decorations, or even the food! But the memories that we made – and the fun we had together. As part of a large family, Christmas is the time we communicate the most. It is the time when bridges are built; bridges that not even a singed hand – or someone snoring through the Christmas Film could break. I see now, that it is the strength of our family that not only creates traditions, but also maintains them – and I am happy to say that I have absolutely no intention of breaking them any time soon.

Looking back at our families Christmas traditions has got me thinking about what traditions other families, and individuals have around this time of year... so in the spirit of Christmas, feel free to share in the comments below!

Merry Blogmas,
Love Amber
xxx

3 comments:

  1. Aw I love this post. I like how now we realise how our parents kept to traditions so that they then become traditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Nadine! - DO you have any christmas traditions of your own? x

      Delete
    2. Ooh yeah tons. I was thinking of doing a post about it so you shall seeeeeeee ;D

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.