30/05/2012

An Education


An Education
For the past month; like students across the globe - I have been attempting to pass various exams - toward the goal, of achieving some qualifications. Qualifications which could ultimately be the culmination of nearly fifteen years of my life! When I put it like that, it’s a pretty scary fact - soon enough, I will be staring into the big ugly reality that we call adulthood (and with all the responsibilities that brings). 

As much as we may complain that we have harsh workloads and that there simply aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done - nobody is ever going to appreciate homework, as much as they may think they will! It is fast becoming apparent that there are bigger fish to fry – so to speak. With the future careering towards us all like a freight train with no brakes, it seems that we are all increasingly capable of questioning each other’s motives – but not our own.  In all honesty, when was the last time you took time out for long enough to actually consider what kind of impact your actions have on the people that surround us, and the wider community? 

If – like me, you can’t really remember – then you are a part of the fast growing majority.  In the society that we each live in today, it is increasingly easy to simply shut out any potential negative consequences that our thoughts, or opinions may have. But the question that we must each ask ourselves is this: 

In your lifetime, what have you done that hurt someone else?

Whilst everyone’s answer to this question will be different, every living person will have an answer if they are completely honest with themselves (and anyone who answered “Nothing” is lying). The truth is that we hurt each other every day – sometimes without even realising it. And whilst the human capacity for forgiveness is immense, on the same note, our capacity to bear pain – and to carry it with us is equally great. It is this fact that makes education – of all types, one of the most important gifts that we can  be given – there are so many of us, in our society today that take it for granted – myself included!
This realisation really made me stop and think - what my life would have been like without the fantastic education that I have been lucky enough to receive - where would I be without it? - Certainly not here, writing this today that is for certain. In fact, I'm sitting here writing this, beginning to feel incredibly guilty for ever begrudging going to school. For all the taunts, and teasing aside I was lucky. I am lucky. We all are.

It is thanks to the education that I have been provided with, in the society that we live in today, that not only am I able to sit here, and write this today. But I am also able to voice my own opinion, and have my say - or even to admit that I am wrong, just as often as anyone else - so what I am really trying (and probably failing) to say, is that I like so many of you am blessed to have what I have, and to feel what I feel - when there are so many out there who have nothing. Although students across the world begrudge sitting in their exam halls - desperately trying to recall the name of that theorist, or how that particular algorithm works; so that they can gain just one more splodge of ink to add to their CV (in the vain hope that they one day might make a success of themselves). They should remember, we should all remember that we are extremely blessed - and gifted in our own unique way - and there are others out there who would gladly give everything for even half the opportunities that we pass by on a daily basis.

My goal from now on, is to not let these opportunities pass me by. What’s yours? 

Love Amber
xxx



2 comments:

  1. Amazing. You have a way of writing, but I do find it unfortunate that you keep everything really personal about yourself so hidden away. I want to know more about you, and the life you live. In an earlier post, you mentioned a 'bubble of ignorance that burst' or something along those lines. What made it burst, and what have you now begun to realize?

    If today's post is any indication, you've begun to apprciate your life a bit more, which might be related. But we (the readers) still don't know how this transformation came to be.

    Hope to hear more from you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe,

      Yes - you are right - I have begun to appreciate my life more of late (the good, the bad and the decidedly ugly included).

      And in truth, I'm not really sure what brought this change about - but I have a feeling it had something to do with me looking over a conversation I had with a good friend a while ago - and perhaps reading over an article that they wrote afterwards.

      I hope to write more soon - and who knows, I might not keep so much hidden...

      Lilli x

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.