24/01/2015

Adulthood


Adulthood



Having recently completed my first term of university, I have been thinking (a dangerous pursuit at the best of times) about exactly what it means to be an “adult”. Whilst everyone has a different interaction with childhood and the difficult transition period of adolescence, do we all have a similar understanding of what it means to be an adult?

Whilst I had more freedom than some when I was growing up, I also had a relatively sheltered upbringing. So, moving away and getting my first taste of ‘independence’ in the real world, I am now beginning to fully appreciate just how difficult it actually is to be a proper grown-up. Balancing budgets, house-hunting and the treacheries that frequently accompany online grocery shopping are just a few of the minor road-bumps I have encountered in just a few short weeks. Adulthood clearly brings a host of extra obligations and responsibilities, not all of which are particularly exciting. However it has its perks – after all not being nagged for keeping an alternative sleeping pattern - that’s napping for those of you who don’t speak geek - is pretty amazing.

Whilst I am fortunate to have a place at university, and to be given the opportunity to continue my education at the same time as learning how to stand on my own two feet, I am conscious that not everyone has the same introduction to being an adult. Some have responsibilities thrust upon them, whilst others choose to shirk the responsibilities that accompany adulthood for as long as is absolutely possible. Everyone has a unique experience, and as such we all take different lessons and experiences and influences and in time they become deeply ingrained within our psyche.
Whilst experiencing the ups and downs of this new environment has taught me a great deal – about life – the good with the bad. Overall, navigating the shark-infested waters of adulthood is pretty difficult – who isn't going to need a little help along the way?

More Soon,


Love Amber xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.